Day 10 Idaho
The Start Of The Tour Of Idaho
We'll ride from Pocatello, Idaho to a very remote campsite on a dead end dirt road
right below some of the highest peaks in Idaho.
We came to Pocatello from the Mexico border and didn't actually ride the TID to Pocatello,
but I had did that 2 years ago.

A reminder---this is my 3rd attempt at completing the Tour Of Idaho.
1,300 miles from Southern Idaho to the Canada border and we have already accumulated several
hundred miles riding thru Arizona, Utah and Wyoming.

I was still somewhat intimidated at doing this--after all, it's tough and I burned my foot very badly
2 years ago after soaking my foot in gasoline from a gas line that came loose. It was on gospel hill
that it happened and I knew I couldn't ride thru there again with no feelings of anxiety.


Rick Horton is with us now---he's riding the WR450F and has his bike very well set up for adventure touring
and camping. He is using the Giant Loop saddlebags---the best choice for a strictly offroad machinge
converted to adventure use.



We are out in the desert now and you can barely see "Big Butte" in the distance. Ste
It's probably 40 miles away from this shot.


We fly across the desert on the sandy road and watch out for scrub brush that can grab your leg or footpeg.

It was in here that the dangdest thing happened----it was like the mormon cricket invasion I experience on
the Western Trans Am Trail----I couldn't believe it----except it was field mice--millions of them.
I mean they practically covered the sandy road------the little fat booger were so overweight
they could hardly move---looked like you stuck an air compressor in their butt.
They'd here me coming and try to scatter but for most of them it was too little too late as the poor little
boogers tried their best to waller out of the way of the front wheel of my mighty Yamaha.
I scattered dead bodies for 20 miles.

Scott came along behind me and most were gone except for the ones that didn't make it.

That's when Scott exclaimed.

"You ain't a hard man to track Wales---Leave dead bodies wherever you go"





I at first was gonna make up this big story about a fantastic high speed crash, but
he didn't have his helmet on and it was one of those zero mile an hour tip--overs.


Goodale's Cutoff formed a spur of the Oregon Trail in Idaho, United States. The cutoff left the trail near Fort Hall, crossed the Snake
River Plain to Idaho and then turned west to the area of Boise, crossing Camas Prairie. It rejoined the main trail from Ditto Creek to Boise,
then ran to the north of the main trail, joining at the Powder River, near Baker.



The 5 mile ride up Big Butte is fantastic. It is very steep with some loose shale and rocks.
It's so steep in places if you lost your momentum you can't get going again and have to back down a
ways to get another start. We all made it up fine.
The view on top of Big Butte is utterly fantastic--you can't keep from staring at it.
There is a place up here where hang gliders launch off of---got to try that !!!



The last time I climbed Big Butte 2 years ago I had fell on the way up and a sharp embedded
rock knocked a nice hole in my Husky's magnesium side case and I had lost some oil.
I laid it over right where Rick is and JB welded it up and it was no problem.

Rick was having problems with his WR450F. It would just quit running and he'd put in a new
plug and it would run-----for a while. This plaqued him for days--it would be many
days before we figured out what was wrong with it.
But that was unfixable in the field--be we kept it going--more to come on that.

The tiny slither of a road you see below is the one we came in on.



There is a 17 mile side loop on the Tour Of Idaho ride called "Massacre Mountain".
It's the highest point on the whole ride and I wanted to dump our gear and ride it.
We didn't---the terrain was extreme---and after Rick (our A class enduro rider) claimed it wouldn't
be smart for us to ride it (exactly what I said last time I was here) on a ride of this Magnitude.
We had so many more miles of riding to do--why chance spoiling it here and having to push
our Spots rescue button while someone held a tourniquet on me !!!!!
I'm not ashamed--I have nothing to prove.
What little of it we rode was pretty tough---goat trail ledges to the extreme.
No--not me--not no more----been there and done that before.







We did pass thru the town of Arco, Idaho today for food and gas.
So what's a submarine doing doing in Arco you ask ??????

The world's first peacetime use of nuclear power occurred when the US Government switched on Experimental
Breeder Reactor #1 (EBR1) near Arco, Idaho on December 20, 1951. The town of Arco became the first
city in the world to be lit by atomic power from a reactor built near EBR-I, the BORAX III reactor, on July 17, 1955.
It was only temporary, but the way was paved for commercial use of nuclear power later in the decade.
The Arco reactor suffered a partial meltdown -- another World's First, in 1955. There's no highway sign
bragging about that.

The sail of the de-commission nuclear sub the "Hawkbill" was brought here and is now beside the road.
Pretty neat.



I had the most perfect campsite in mind for the night---one that me and my buddy 2 years ago just
passed thru---I led Scott and Rick to it.







This ideal campspot is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
It's a dead end road into those mountains that are impassable.

Mount Leatherman at 12,228 ft.
Mount Donaldson at 12,023 ft. and
Mount Breitenback at 12,140 ft. loomed in front of us.
All holding some snowpack.




On the way we pass this lineman's shack.


Lot's of stuff in here--even a bed.
See the note on the stove ??????




It was about 4 miles of the best and most scenic riding an adventure rider could have to camp.
There was no one out here and you just can't get any more remote than this place was.



We had 2 creeks to cross on the way there.
If it came a big rain--we might not be able to get out in the morning.




We found an ideal spot with big logs to sit on around a nice campfire with plenty of firewood.
And one very important piece of firewood----what I call......the "All Nighter".
Yeh-----we had 2 of those suckers---to keep the bears away.
This was bear country and we saw lots of evidence of them--even where they had
rubbed the bark off of trees scratching themselves--not a bad idea I thought.



Scott had given me this hat before we left to keep me warm and to keep skeeters off my neck.
I immediately name it my "Go To Hell Hat"

If you don't like it-------go to hell !!!!!
We cooked a nice dinner in our Jet Boils and talked passed sunset.
I just knew there were bears stalking us and thought about the movie "The Edge"



This plaque was completely imbedded in a very nearby tree.
Scott thought about this plaque and decided the ole' boy had died right here and his
buddies put up this plaque right where he was done in--maybe even throwing his ashes around the
area---sounded good to me.
I bet a bear ate him. Maybe he'd eat me tonight.
Maybe they'd throw my ashes around our campfire.
I crawled in my tent with all these bear thoughts in my mind---and BigAgnes
just put me to sleep--thank god.


Our sunset

We had ridden 201 today.

Day 11
More Idaho and the TID

From Dead End Camp to West Fork Of The Bitteroot River campsite.


We broke camp almost before daybreak---couldn't wait to go riding.
Me and Scott always were up at daybreak and we would continue this even if we had to kick Rick out of bed.
I have ridden with Rick for years--but not on a ride like this where we were camping--and truly
didn't know how he'd be getting up in the morning--we never had to kick him out--he always beat us up.
I won't waste my time riding with guys that can't get out of bed--we'll part company.
This is good news--we are all on the same page.
We made some oatmeal for breakfast and were on our way.

Scott took one of the best pictures of the ride as me and Rick rode side by side out of camp that morning
and the sun had yet to poke it's head over the mountains.




I think the town of Challis loomed around this mountain and we stocked up on food, water
gatorade, snacks, and gas.





I used to be able to do that----kinda.
Don't even try it on my EXC520 now--just ain't my thing no more (I can't do it).



We rode along the most beautiful dirt road along Panther Creek---and came to an area where
The Panther, The Salmon and Garden Creek all came together.




The road to Shoup, Idaho along the Salmon River




The ride to Shoup for some grub and gas was not so spectacular as they had just poured a Zillion
gallons of calcium chloride on the road to keep the dust down. Unfortunately for us it hadn't had a
chance to soak it and dry up--it put that stuff all over our bikes. We kept it to a minimum the best we
could by riding on the side of the road. It looked like it had just rained---a lot--but I knew better.



Not only can you get some good ole' gravity gas here (is she hasn't run out) --you can get some grub
and hole up if you like in a very primitive cabin with a wood stove.
So gas, food and lodging can be had here-------usually.




We rode for miles and miles in the mountains deep in the pine forests.
The sun was getting low and we passed many nice primitive campsites.
Firewood had become a priority for our nights camping----a campsite with no firewood
we just passed by.
So we all gathered wood for a half hour---set up camp and settled in.
The West Fork of the Bitterroot River was in our front door and we all got us a nice bath in the river.
This is so nice after a hard days ride and maybe your a little sticky.
Then you can crawl in with BigAgnes and snuggle in for the night.

Poor ole' Rick just had a sleeping bag----but we had BigAgnes--she'll keep you warm.



See that little chair------packs up into the size of a big burrito and is oh so comfy.
It even supports your back. Looks hokey--but is wonderful.
The legs are just like shock corded aluminum tent poles----but bigger.
Get em at REI -----about $60

We had skeeters at every camp---but they just weren't that bad.
A little repellent and a campfire and they were history.

I think bears prowled all around us--and we had just heard about a grizzlly killing a guy
near Yellowstone--I just knew he was out there.
Scott had some bear spray------40 caliber if I remember right.
That made me feel better----somewhat.

This campsite was in Montana by the way---just barely.

182 Miles for the day.


More Tour Of Idaho
From Camp to Elk City, Idaho (population---a few hangers on)





If you're around me any---get used to my wasted tax dollars ranting or join in.
Well lo and behold---our tax dollars at work--and doing something worthwhile--first time I
witnessed it in 20 years.
We were working on Ricks 450 again and she stopped to just check on us and say howdy.
We had a nice converstion and she was truly interested in what we were doing and asked if we
needed anything or help---I mentioned we were out of water and she left.
An hour later after getting Ricks bike going again here she comes down the road and waves me over.
She went and got some water at the ranger station----not ordinary water---I'm
talkin' government issue water---I was so proud to be an Ameerican and let out the pledge to allegiance !!!!!
Probably cost taxpayers $33,000 for us to get that water-----thanks everybody--we were thirsty.



Lots of fires happen in Idaho---it's a constant thing. Lightning starts most of them.
Kind of sad---but a force of nature I suppose.








This riding was all on the Magruder Corrider and was fantastic of course.
Looks like a little fire was still going on across the mountain.






We blew into Elk City in a torrent of rain, wind, and lightning and holed up at the Elk City Hotel--the
only one in town. We got the last room. The last time I was here we had to walk up these old wooden stairs
that I just new were going to fall thru--the whole porch just seemed to be ready to seperate from the building
and land in the parking lot---it quiverd, bowed and shook as we walked on it.
It was somehow still there ---and it scared me to walk on it again.
We paid extra for no phone and to disconnect the TV--and no cell service--we hadn't a watch between
of us -----and loved it.




This is pretty much all of downtown "Elk City"


Elk City circa 1930---the year it burned.


Meet Spencer (the one with the beer)--the proprieter at "The Store"


We walked out of Spencers store with all the goodies we bought (they have everything) and I started to saunter
across the street to our motel----but turned around and looked at this bench and had a feeling.
A good feeling---a feeling that this was the perfect place to spend the next 2 hours just watching life go by
in Elk Cith and Scott and Rick joined me.
We didn't know that Spencer was going to give us the complete history of Elk City and
what we thought was the equivalent to the "Key To The City".

Spencer really took a liking to us.

Spencer promised me that any adventure rider that came into his store could get
a free ice cream if they mentioned "BigDogAdventures".
He was serious--and I found this hilarious--try it--might get you throwed out.



Spencers hours--he has his priorities.


He took us in his store--which had since closed and showed us all these picture he had of Elk City
and went into great detail about the history of his store----info that was extremely hard to come by
in Elk City. Seems people were a little tight lip about things.


His store in maybe 1920 ????? It didn't burn in 1930.





This town is extremely small-----extremely.... and we had the best time watching life go by us on the
wooden bench at "The Store". 4-wheelers running amuck-----old beat up pickups with at least one
old dog in the back--or riding on the hood--we saw all manner of things--things you'd get arrested for
in my hometown---take ole' Spencer---in my town they would have drug him with a knotted plow line
for drinkin' that beer in public. I just got the feeling that the local Sheriff knew better than to mess
with the locals in Elk City. But then a fight broke out at the somewhat rowdy VFW and things got messy
for awhile and everybody in town came out and stuck their head out to see what was going on--and it spread
thru town in about 3 seconds----who and why did what was known to all--it was hilarious.
We watched as the story spread from one front porch to the next--growing
bigger with each transfer of data.



I had met a girl on the LoLo 2 years ago--she was a paramedic helping the firefighters on the Magruder
corridor and was critical in getting us thru---she helped a lot as we weren't suppose to come thru but she got on the
radio and got us thru. I'll never forget her and remembered she lived in Elk City---sometimes.
Lo and Behold I recognized her red Blazer and ran over to say hi.


Meet Glow---Elk City Idaho.
Thanks again Glow.
She remembered reading the story on my website about my last trip thru here and I told here they'd be
a new one--she was even in my video I made of that ride---the "LongWayUp' ride.


Life is good in Elk City--let's hit the sack guys I've had all the excitement I can stand.
Besides------- the VFW is getting noisy again and the sun is going down.

146 Miles for the day.


Day 13
More Tour Of Idaho


We got gas just down the road from downtown Elk City and loaded up on supplies.



Better watch that last step if upstairs---I couldn't figure this out at all.







Some beautiful dirt roads lead us over this bridge and the Selway River



Selway Falls






Rick spies this cable and hand car where you can pull yourself across the river.
Rick said he was going to do it---and I said I was next but the dang thing
had a lock on it.



Lowell usually has gas and there is a very nice restaurant next door.




A far cry from my Mississippi river-----the sewer from Chicago.



I've said this before---this area reminds me of the movie "A River Runs Through It"



Right out of Lowell--yep----Rick comes up missing--and the dang thing won't break down in the shade.
So I got to have a change of clothes---I don't care who is watching.



Still haven't figured the thing out---and some float bowl cleaning is hopefully one solution.


Rick pulls the main jet out--------and it breaks off in the carb. You can't get the carb off one of
these things without removing the rear subframe and shock. We go into endeavor to persevere mode and with the
aid of the screwdriver out of my eyeglass repair kit we somehow get the broken off jet out
without removing the carb-------there was a lot of patience to be had on this one.
We had to do it-----failure was unacceptable.


We go West on hwy 12 a few miles and head up a road we plotted out that we hoped would take
us to the LoLo motorway---and it did.


We met these dudes up there---we had run into them elsewhere--amazing. Their new KLR's were
doing a great job and they were all smiles.



On September 11, 1805, the Corps of Discovery began one of the most difficult and demanding legs of their voyage to the Pacific Ocean-the 120-mile trek across the Bitterroot Mountains on the Lolo Trail. The Lolo Trail is an ancient Indian route that follows the ridgetops parallel and to the north of Highway 12. This trail provided access to buffalo on the eastern plains for those on the Columbia Plateau, and led people living east of the mountains to salmon-rich waters in the west. During the Nez Perce War of 1877, Chief Joseph and nearly 750 Nez Perce fled General Howard's army along this trail to reach the Bitterroot Valley.




We ended up camping at the Powell Ranger Station campground that night.
You have to go to PRS to get gas or you won't make the next town on the TID.
It's over 300 miles if you don't come into Powell.
Such a nice lady as our camp host----she had a big 4-wheeler and she let us load wood in it and bring it
to our campsite---all we wanted for free.

168 Miles for the Day.


Day 14 More TID

Powell Ranger Station to Wallace Idaho


We woke up and it was very chilly and me and Scott hated to leave BigAgnes----Rick in his 40°
bag just wanted to get by the fire.
A 40° bag will keep you warm on a 55° night.


See that tarp on my bike------it called the "DingleWeeds" adventure tarp and is not availble in stores
everywhere. There are just a few in existence----Scott made them and gave me one and gave one to
my son (which I stole) -----now I got 2. It's not an ordinary tarp and at first I wasn't sure I wanted
to pack it. Scott put some straps and buckles at the front and back and you can quicky clip it thru the spokes
of your bike and keep it covered and it won't blow off.
We also used them extensively while breaking and making camp to put all you gear on.
We also used them to huddle under when a sudden rainstorm blew up on us.
I'll never travel again without a "DingleWeeds" custom adventure tarp---thanks Scott !!!!!!
They only come in Yamaha adventure blue !!!!



Sorry bout those legs---it's the only two I got.



The only thing I bought and took home with me on this ride.
Here honey---look what I got you !!!!




Rick put his tent right on top of Mr. Gofer.
We felt bad about that and fed him some jerky.



This has a story----there was no way to get around either side.



So Scott---who I originally thougth was packng too much stuff----whips out his combo---saw and shovel.
Without it---we'd still be there I guess.



Cool part about this is when we run into Martin Hackworth many days later he tells us about a tree he had
to go under on Toboggan Ridge------oh yeah ????
How bout that----we was the ones that cleared it out for him----Martin carries nothing but a motorcycle, water, snacks,
tools and gas-----that's it.



More Tobaggon Ridge




OK--some of you remember when I went up Gospel hill 2 years ago and my gas line came loose
and burned my foot ??? And sent me to the hospital and then home.
I was facing my demons---and got kind of nervous.
I could have burned up that day--very easily----very slowly.


Waypoint------"Burned My Foot"


My victory celebration after summiting Gospel Hill.
Shorty I'll be riding the rest of the TID that I missed 2 years ago.



Near Wallace, Idaho these are now hiking and bicycle trails and no longer motorcycle trails.




We blew into the little town of Wallace Idaho------famous for a lot of things.
Houses of ill repute being the biggest.
Our motel was 3ft. from the band stand stage and they was crankin' up.

How we gonna sleep with that laundry tub kick drum thumpin' all night. And the plastic chair snare drum ????
Guess we'll have to join em"

199 miles for the day


Day 15
Wallace, Idaho and we didn't ride.

We stayed here for 2 days for many reasons.
Rick needed to get his bike sorted out at the nearby Yamaha shop---me and Scott had been riding
all day long for 14 days and could use a break and do some bike maintenance, we fell in love with the town and it's
people and were completely fascinated with the history of this place.
And--they had a killer band.


The "Red Light Garage"------I'll never forget this place.
Friendship, food, lodging (next door) and did I mention----a killer band.
This town was the last town in Idaho to have Bordello's---Houses' of ill repute.
And it wasn't that many years ago it was outlaw'd---and the town kind of is proud of that
and has made kind of a tourist thing out of it. Not your usual tourist thing mind you..


The Band---and my soon to be good friend James.

They played jazz----here is James crankin' on the sax---after a sax solo he'd pick up the clarinet and wale on it.
He was a superb musician as his dad had an orchestra--he was very well rounded in music,
and became my friend.



Dont' let this gal fool you---she can really stomp a kick drum (an old plastic clothes bucket) and snare (plastic chair).
She was a hoot and very fun to watch.


The 84 year old gal in the middle new every song ever written-----ever !!!!!
Their sound was awesome--no PA system was needed--the perfect balance--they could play anything.


We ate and drank to the wee hours of the night---look---the sun is almost down.
I bet we stayed up till 9:15 that night---jammin' and singin' with the band.


This sign was out front of the Redlight Garage.
Gives you an idea of the atmosphere of this little town.



We had laundry to do--not much cause we didn't bring much.

So now me and Scott go in here with nothing on but our bath towels from the motel and do laundry.
The shorts came off.


You thougth I was kiddin' didn't you.


But here's is when things could have really gone bad if we were in any other town except Wallace, Idaho.
Where it seems ------nothing shocks anybody.

So listen up---me and Scott are in our bath towels----our laundry is in the washer---and
we don't have enough quarters to get them started and the quarter machine is broke !!!!!
So------did I mention Scott looks like a grizzly bear----he's one of those guys that has enough
hair on him for 7 people--------pretty scary lookin'.

So-------he saunters next door in his bath towel and goes in the donut shop to ask
for quarters-----I wait outside in front of the laundry waiting for him to come flying out of the
donut shop with a big fat woman chasin' after him with a roller pin.

She's a grinnin' ear to ear and hands over all the quarters we need. I just knew we both were going to the pokey.


So it seems fittin' we head down to the Bordello Museum after that little deal.




I guess word had gotten out as we couldn't get in the bordello museum.
So we just had a peek.
Hey ------we got clean clothes on---what's the problem ????
Nice shirts guys.


Our tour of downtown Wallace,---man I love this town.





Me and Scott were like 2 little kids and had a ball roaming around Wallace looking at all the neat old
buildings while Rick had rode his bike to the nearest Yamaha shop to get it sorted out.
I found this neat old bus sittin' across the street from the Redlight Gas Station.

I could not resist looking inside this thing as the door was unlocked.



It's a 50's model Flxible (not Flexible) bus--what is so interesting is this bus is the same company
that made Flexible motorcycle sidecars that leaned and were made way back in the 20's--now how interesting is that.
It had a straight 8 (inline) Buick motor in it. The company's name was originally Flexible, but they
changed it to Flxible.




I was crawling all over this thing and Scott wouldn't get in it. Good thing---a few minutes later
I got throwed out-----kind of.
The owner caught me but then hollered at us -------"Oh it's the Dogs"

It was none other than James the sax player at the Redlight Gas Station and owner of the Gas station and
owner of the bus I had broken in to. Now we had the key to the city once again as James owned a lot
of property and things in Wallace--and he's our buddy now. He gave me the low down on the bus.


Don't leave Wallace without a ride in the Red Light flying saucer. Been there done that---check !!!



Meet Barbara----now this gal is a hoot---she's James's wife (the sax player) and has to work while James
plays the sax every night and has fun. Ole' Barbara likes her beer I think and brought one to many to
our table---and said "Whoops I brought one to many"--and sat down with us and finished it.
She was our waitress too----man she was a hoot.



So later---the band cranked up again and I was to sit in and play guitar--they played jazz but I'm
not a jazz player at all---but they played one song called "Summertime" that I've been playin' all my life.
So it was agreed I would sit in with them and play and James said he had an acoustic guitar for me to play.
I couldn't wait and the guys were all ready with the video camera for this. I could play that song in any key they liked.

So James brings out this guitar and I was heartbroke--the thing wasn't play-a-ble. The strings were so high
it would have bloodied my fingers. Dang--it.

We truly did not want to leave this town. Remember the movie "Doc Holliday" when the Doc was leaving
town and the whole frickin' town came out to say good-bye....pigs, goats and all ??. It was a tear jerker.
We started up our bikes the next morning and drove thru the parking lot of the Redlight gas station
and Rick pulled a couple wheelies and everything stopped at the Redlight gas station as everybody came out
and bid us farewell---man I wish I had a picture of that----I do---in my mind.

Goodbye Wallace----I will never forget you---James and Barbara and the "Band".


Miles for the day--------6.


Day 16
Wallace to Priest Lake


We get a little off track in these next 2 pictures and have to go back.
It dead ended in a dropoff.





On NF-209 on the North Fork of the Coeur D Alene River we came across this historic
log dam. There was a sign there that told all about it but I can't remember what it said.
I think they held logs here and let them go down river when the river came up.





I think we were up on Honey Mountain here overlooking Lake Pend Oreille.


We got gas along the way somewhere----and I asked this gal if I could take a picture of here and her dogs.
I've always wanted to take my little JoJo with me---but the wife says no-way. No wonder he don't like her !!!
She was flattered that I thought this was neat---I bet I could come up missing a hand if I stuck it in
their little cage.




I do believe this is on top of HooDoo Moutain 5,119ft.



Sometimes when you hit the pavement you just get bored--so me and Rick played
Harley rider.


Then Rick comes up missing again.



Ok---we've done this before. I sure wish I could sit down in the shade.



Rick doesn't need any help---it's a one man job.



I tried not to get to smart with Rick with that quirky carburator of his.
Never know when the tables might turn. I could have thrown out a lot of fuel injection vs. carburator jokes
but I didn't.



It was here at a motel in Priest Lake the Canadian border patrol came in and gave us the once over.
He said bikes set up like ours are the vehicle of choice for drug smuggling over the border.
I just didn't expect this up here---maybe down at the Mexican border--but not here.
We told him to let all his men know that we would be wandering around some dirt roads near the




Yep---Ricks bike quit again and for the first time he could not get it running.
It was my mission to get a truck to go the 5 miles out to pick him and the truck up.
It took me 1 minute to find a truck and driver-----poor guy was totally broke and the motor in his truck had
a rod knocking. I asked him it it would go another 10 miles before it blew a rod and he thought it would.
His gas tank was empty and I had to give him some money to put gas in his truck to go get Rick.
I felt sorry for the guy--but then he gigged Rick for what 3 wreckers would have charged.
Said he had bills to pay.

It is here that Rick said he give up trying to keep his bike going. We couldn't figure the thing out.
We had ordered tires, sprockets, chains and a new battery for Rick back in Wallace and were having them
shipped to my buddy Burt Gunns boat shop on the Coeur D Alene lake. So Rick would try to ride or maybe haul
his bike to the lake and me and Scott would go ahead and run to the Canada border without him.
This worked out great.


174 Miles for the day


Day 17
Priest Lake to the Canada border and back to Priest Lake another way.
I would finally finish my Tour Of Idaho.


We skirted the East side of Priest Lake for miles heading towards the border.
I had no idea what to expect near the border and was estatic I was finally going to get there.



I'm not sure what that smirk is all about----probably my excitement that me and Scott had ridden all the way
from the Mexican border and now were very near Canada--and then we had to ride back--dang it.
Our little 250's had done so much---little did we know in the coming few days we would have to
ask much more out of them------how could that be ????---out of ourselves too.




OK--Scotts the outdoor guy---and he's also the turd guy.



This is grizzly scat.Scott pokes a stick in this stuff and it's almost smokin'.
Pretty fresh---we scared the s____ out of this grizzly I guess.
Scott really know his S_____ !!!!


10 miles from the border we found this warming hut.



We hung this sign in the warming hut.



There was plenty of firewood and a computerized woodstove----it was an old XP version stove with dial-up.




We rode some great dirt roads all the way to where you can't go any further.
A downed tree stopped us--but it didn't matter right around the corner was a gate and you were told
not to proceed passed it.

We did it---we were 2 happy guys. All the drama was over and it would all be downhill from here--or would it ????



There was a beautiful water fall here---but this picture doesn't let you know at all how big it is.
It was about 60ft. tall.



Here's the other side of the tree that blocked us from going further.



And the barrier from going any further North.
I measured on my gps and we were 1.7 miles from the border.



The water from the waterfall goes under the road and I wanted to go down in it to the end where there
was a drop-off----but thought better of it.



My route we laid out went a little further as you see--but this was not possible.



You can see todays stats----and you can also see the total miles from the Mexican border----2,752.9 miles.


We head back South and have to backtrack a little but turn off on Gold Creek Rd. which kind of goes West a little.
And we briefly cross into the state of Washington.
All the riding in here is at about 6,000 ft. elevation I think.
A beautiful cool day.




Some of our return trip gets a little tight and muddy----be we get thru.


198 Miles for the day after getting back to Priest River at the same Motel.


On To Day 18

Click Here